Search: Posts made by: Paul[_26_]
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 18th 18, 12:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
RAM Slack?

Loren Pechtel wrote:
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 02:28:56 -0500, Paul
wrote:

I would fix that if I were you.

What I do, is I review my handiwork with a hex editor,
Forum: Gigbyte Motherboards February 16th 18, 03:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Meltdown, Spectre

Richard Fonfara wrote:
Hi,

does anyone know, if the motherboard GA-H77-D3H Rev. 1.0 will get
updates against Meltdown and Spectre?

There are various issues.

1) At a guess, your Ivy...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 15th 18, 08:28 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
RAM Slack?

Loren Pechtel wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 13:20:02 -0500, Paul
wrote:

In one case, Microsoft Office may have made things worse,
by rounding something at the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 14th 18, 07:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
RAM Slack?

Davej wrote:
I have been reading some stuff about digital forensics
and have seen several comments about "RAM slack" where
supposedly some old OS versions were so idiotic that
patches of RAM...
Forum: General February 12th 18, 11:30 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
1st Daily Start Sound

wrote:
Dell Inspiron about 6 yrars old. First startup or waking from sleep,
in a given day, and the CD drive is "jazzed" up then coasts back down
taking a couple of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 9th 18, 08:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Ping Paul - pre BIOS screen click ?

Shadow wrote:

I'll do a visual on the capacitors, and unplug my speaker next
time I boot and try to locate the click. Not doing it right now,
because I'm afraid it won't reboot. Ambient...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 9th 18, 04:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Ping Paul - pre BIOS screen click ?

Shadow wrote:
Having trouble with my ASUS K8V-MX

Computer works fine for hours then suddenly bluescreens.
When I reboot, it sometimes works fine, but usually everything starts
up (fans,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 7th 18, 03:18 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
I just bought a firestick

SC Tom wrote:

"Seymore4Head" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 20:29:50 +0000 (GMT), "Rodney Pont"
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 7th 18, 02:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
HD question consumer grade and enterprise grade

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
On 02/06/2018 4:01 PM, Paul wrote:
smallbore wrote:
On 02/05/2018 11:56 PM, Flasherly wrote:
On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 00:28:18 +0000 (UTC), dogs ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 6th 18, 11:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

smallbore wrote:
On 02/05/2018 11:56 PM, Flasherly wrote:
On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 00:28:18 +0000 (UTC), dogs wrote:

I guess those are 500 GB? My smaller ST3160023A has "3...
Forum: General February 6th 18, 02:42 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
nVidia GPU reccomendadtion please.

~misfit~ wrote:
I'm running an ATI HD7770 (with a QX9650 CPU) but the game I play is getting
more and more complex. Also apparently it's better optimised for nVidia
cards rather than ATI /...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 5th 18, 09:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
HD question consumer grade and enterprise grade

Yes wrote:
An ad at newegg got me curious. AS much as possible in layman's words,
what is the difference between Western Digital's black performance
series of desktop hard drives and their...
Forum: General January 30th 18, 07:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Reallocated Sectors Count

Norm X wrote:
Hi,
I have a Microsoft SS software RAID with two hard drives. Now
CrystalDiskInfo says the raw count for Reallocated Sectors Count is 2 on one
HDD. I like to get some lead...
Forum: Intel January 29th 18, 07:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Linus Torvalds declares Intel fix for Meltdown/Spectre 'COMPLETEAND UTTER GARBAGE'

Nomen Nescio wrote:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/22/linus-torvalds-declares-intel-
fix-for-meltdown-spectre-complete-and-utter-garbage/

Old news and out of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 24th 18, 02:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
I just bought a firestick

SC Tom wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
SC Tom wrote:

"Seymore4Head" wrote in message
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 23rd 18, 02:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
I just bought a firestick

SC Tom wrote:

"Seymore4Head" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 00:08:03 -0500, Paul
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 22nd 18, 06:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
I just bought a firestick

Seymore4Head wrote:
I got a firestick for my niece hoping we could drop cable and phone.
She is complaining that the programs she is trying to watch are
pausing in the middle like a Youtube...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 15th 18, 05:20 AM Posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Are there any PC monitor goggles or glasses?

[email protected] wrote:
It seems that it would sometimes be convenient if there are some type of goggles
we could hook up to a computer to do some quick tasks without having to have a
monitor, especially...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 11th 18, 06:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 1/10/2018 1:08 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 1/9/2018 2:15 AM, Paul wrote:
To establish baseline performance, you can use Robocopy to copy the
files to a RAMdisk. That...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 9th 18, 01:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
"Warning: Microsoft's Meltdown and Spectre patch is brickingsome AMD PCs"

wrote:
On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:47:16 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Warning: Microsoft's Meltdown and Spectre patch is bricking some AMD PCs"

Forum: Storage (alt) January 9th 18, 08:15 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
Okay, so I do daily Macrium file backups of my entire User folder, with
monthly fulls at the beginning of each month. All except one specific
subfolder which takes longer...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 9th 18, 01:46 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Warning: Microsoft's Meltdown and Spectre patch is bricking some AMD PCs"

Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 6th 18, 11:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
"Major chip flaws affect billions of devices"

Larc wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 13:29:19 -0600, Lynn McGuire wrote:

| "It's not just Intel machines. Here's everything you need to know about
| how to protect your...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 6th 18, 12:43 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Windows 10, 170MB of unknown downloads every day when it bootsup???

Nomen Nescio wrote:
During this time the disk is constantly thrashing and the CPU is
at 100%.

Is this really necessary?

WTF is this crap?

microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps