Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 14th 18, 10:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
AVENTUM 3 PC most expensive rig?

http://www.digitalstorm.com/aventum-3.asp

who the **** buys something like this?

the same sort of person who drives an Audi Q7
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 8th 18, 12:39 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 refuses to update due to Avira what is gone

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:08:47 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

Do you have an exact copy of the error message ?
You could try popping that into Google and see
what others have run into.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 7th 18, 02:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 refuses to update due to Avira what is gone

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:08:47 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

Do you have an exact copy of the error message ?
You could try popping that into Google and see
what others have run into.

Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 6th 18, 02:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 refuses to update due to Avira what is gone

For a while Windows update failed because it detected Avira, apparently
not being on the whitelist for Spectre-Meltdown protection.
Now had uninstalled Avira years ago. There were no Avira...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 30th 18, 12:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
How strong is the glass used in those beautiful computer chassis?

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 11:53:31 PM UTC+8, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
Imagine you put the chassis under your table.

Can those glass panels take an accidental kick? Would they shatter?...
Forum: Storage (alt) March 25th 18, 12:19 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
why be mobile "performance" HDD smaller capacity?

I had a laptop with 2 WD Scorpio Black drives, and it seemed quite
impressive. That was only 750 GB. Seagate's rival Barracuda Pro goes
up to 1000 GB. Whereas a plain 2.5 inch drive goes up to a 2...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 11th 18, 11:30 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
"Windows 7 computers won’t receive security updates without antivirus scanner"

On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 11:12:27 AM UTC+8, Loren Pechtel wrote:

The intent is not to block those who don't have AV, but to block those
whose AV isn't compatible with the patches.

Only...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 18th 18, 01:50 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Solar storm could strike Earth Thursday: What you need to know

On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 12:56:46 AM UTC+8, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 16/2/2018 21:16, [email protected] wrote:
I keep my USB drives in a metal box, just in case.

Unless you...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 16th 18, 01:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Solar storm could strike Earth Thursday: What you need to know

I keep my USB drives in a metal box, just in case.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 6th 18, 08:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
HD question consumer grade and enterprise grade

lookup this:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 3rd 18, 10:15 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Intel got better Vega GPU than Raven Ridge????

https://wccftech.com/amd-raven-ridge-ryzen-apu-vega-gpu-graphics-performance/

note paragraph:
The results also showcase performance of the RX Vega M GL chip which has been featured on the Intel 8th...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 9th 18, 10:52 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
"Warning: Microsoft's Meltdown and Spectre patch is bricking someAMD PCs"

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:47:16 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Warning: Microsoft's Meltdown and Spectre patch is bricking some AMD PCs"

Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 26th 17, 10:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Bitcoin/cryptos are pyramid/chain games. New "mail/letter-chain"to paralyze the internet.

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 10:15:52 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

Ethereum will be switching from "regular mining" pretty soon.
And their algorithm uses a lot more memory for a blockchain
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 24th 17, 03:51 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
plug in USB drive = reboot

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 4:24:24 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:
different models of Antec cases (these are from years ago).

My recommendation on an Antec, is to either buzz out
the front...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 23rd 17, 01:38 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Bitcoin/cryptos are pyramid/chain games. New "mail/letter-chain"to paralyze the internet.

well fortunately, Bitcoin has nose-dived this week.
So perhaps miners will stop buying PC hardware.

https://www.marke****ch.com/story/stocks-even-remotely-connected-to-cryptocurrency-drop-2017-12-22
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 23rd 17, 03:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
plug in USB drive = reboot

I transferred a Gigglebite H61 mainboard to an old Antec Lanboy case.
All was fine until I plugged a thumb drive into front panel - PC
rebooted! I guess the 5V line was shorted out.
Now the the front...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 14th 17, 10:06 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
apropos bitcoin miners and graphic cards

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 8:38:00 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

We would need to know the failure rate the enterprise
is experiencing, to know whether the cards are worth a penny.

Was the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 6th 17, 08:46 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
apropos bitcoin miners and graphic cards

So they have been nabbing lots of high-end cards.
The corollary is then that when one of these enterprises either
upgrades, or ceases business, then they will be dumping a load of
used cards on the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 1st 17, 06:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Intel to announce Coffee Lake during solar eclipse?

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 11:46:31 AM UTC+8, Yousuf Khan wrote:

The people doing the most work with multi-core/multi-threaded processors
is the guys making the latest Doom and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 4th 17, 11:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
physical damage to PCIE slot[?]

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 6:17:12 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

PCI Express interfaces can be damaged by static electricity.

They could be damaged by removing the card with the power on.
Forum: Storage (alt) October 30th 17, 10:13 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
“Big hard disks may be breaking the bathtub curve”

On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 7:32:00 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:

I too wonder how long the helium is going to last in the drive. And the
comment about the data center monkeys talking to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 21st 17, 10:02 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
physical damage to PCIE slot[?]

I got a damaged PC: the back of the case had been whacked next to the video
card. To remove the card, I had to straighten the back slots. Now it had
been issuing beeps on startup meaning no VGA card...
Forum: Storage (alt) October 13th 17, 09:43 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
"Yes, Backblaze Just Ordered 100 Petabytes of Hard Drives"

On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 12:21:45 PM UTC+8, Ed Light wrote:
NAMR = ???

Today's article, 10-12-2017

WD shows off market-ready MAMR tech for monster hard drives

Forum: Storage (alt) October 13th 17, 12:12 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
"Yes, Backblaze Just Ordered 100 Petabytes of Hard Drives"

On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 3:11:33 AM UTC+8, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

WD just announced 14TB drives.

by the time NAMR drives come out, how big will Helium drives get up to?
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 6th 17, 09:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
always check **** before you discard it

I have an old Core 2 PC, no longer worth using. Took the side off it, and
saw crappy old graphics card, so dragged it into the garage for trip to
recycling yard. But my partner advised me this was a...