"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

Old August 9th 18, 02:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ch...ves,37563.html

"It’s been years since I was willing to work on any PC that boots from a
mechanical hard drive. Once you get used to the snappy response times
and speedier gameload times of an SSD, going back to a hard drive feels
like computing through a thick layer of molasses."

Lynn
Old August 9th 18, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ch...ves,37563.html

"Its been years since I was willing to work on any PC that boots from a
mechanical hard drive. Once you get used to the snappy response times
and speedier gameload times of an SSD, going back to a hard drive feels
like computing through a thick layer of molasses."

Ever look at the cost of a 2TB or 4TB SSD? Ouch!!!

Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 2TB SATA3 SSD
$509.77 (current sale price)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...71&ignorebbr=1

Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 4TB SATA3 SSD
$1051.00 (current sale price)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...69&ignorebbr=1

Then go look at HDD prices.

WDC Black 2TB SATA3 HDD
$119.00 (current sale price)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...24&ignorebbr=1

WDC Black 4TB SATA3 HDD
$182.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...W6&ignorebbr=1

SSDs cheap? No phucking way even if you do recreational drugs. I only
use SSDs for the OS/app partition - and I know that I am paying a HIGH
premium for the faster SSDs. HDDs get used for large storage because
SSDs are still way too EXPENSIVE! However, not all users can afford the
premium priced SSDs for their OS/app partition's drive.

There are hybrid SSHDs (SSD+HDD) that are a lot cheaper than SSD-only
drives. I doubt most users would notice the difference in overall
performance between an SSD and an SSHD. Remember that the vast majority
of users only occasionally encounter burst mode and won't notice a
difference when using normal applications. If someone were doing video
editing, well, they'd need more than one SSD, anyway, and that puts
those boxes out of the price range of the average consumer.

https://promotions.newegg.com/Seagat...085/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DboEUsOwN28
Old August 9th 18, 05:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 8/9/2018 9:37 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ch...ves,37563.html

"It’s been years since I was willing to work on any PC that boots from a
mechanical hard drive. Once you get used to the snappy response times
and speedier gameload times of an SSD, going back to a hard drive feels
like computing through a thick layer of molasses."

But hard disks are still cheaper and more proven, despite of new
encoding methods.

You should copy important data to some old hard disks which use less
risky encoding and could be more long-lasting than newer ones!

It's also an interesting experiment to find out which old hard disk fail
first. assumed that no "experts" sneaked into your home to do damage!

--
@[email protected] Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
Old August 9th 18, 06:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

VanguardLH wrote:

Ever look at the cost of a 2TB or 4TB SSD? Ouch!!!

Note the phrase "boots from" in the Tom's Hardware clip. Run system and
apps from a modestly sized SSD and store your big data, such as audio
and video, on a big HDD. These days, it's the only way to fly.

Old August 9th 18, 07:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Can I buy a 2 TB SSD for really cheap yet like a HDD price?

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ch...ves,37563.html

"It???s been years since I was willing to work on any PC that boots from a
mechanical hard drive. Once you get used to the snappy response times
and speedier gameload times of an SSD, going back to a hard drive feels
like computing through a thick layer of molasses."

Lynn

--
Quote of the Week: "You feel the faint grit of ants beneath your shoes,
but keep on walking because in this world you have to decide what you're
| |o o| | ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ /
( )
Old August 9th 18, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2018-08-09, Ant wrote:
Still expensive to me.

The current SSD sweet spot for price seems to be 500GB size. Larger than
that and price goes up quickly.

My main desktop system has 500GB SSD and several TB of mechanical
storage. I also have several laptops upgraded to smallish SSDs.

Yeah, I will wait again.

7200 RPM mechanical drives aren't too bad, and there are hybrid drives
available that get a boost from some onboard flash storage. A lot of
new PCs come with dog-slow 5400 RPM drives though and those are real
frustrating to work with.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Old August 10th 18, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

On 2018-08-09, Ant wrote:
Still expensive to me.

The current SSD sweet spot for price seems to be 500GB size. Larger than
that and price goes up quickly.

My main desktop system has 500GB SSD and several TB of mechanical
storage. I also have several laptops upgraded to smallish SSDs.

I easily used up a 115 GB and 256 GB SSDs. 512 GB is went down to 190
GB.