USB problem

Old August 28th 09, 12:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
[email protected]

Default USB problem

Two months ago I a really small thumb drive (a Kingston 2GB mini)
kinda bent and didn't work again, the USB port sometimes works,
sometimes freaks. The thumb drive is dead no matter where I use
it. There is no visible damage on the drive or the Acer Aspire One
port. How bad is the damamge likely to be and how does one repair it?
Open it up and resolder a new port?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2
Old August 29th 09, 05:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Ben Myers[_2_]

wrote:
Two months ago I a really small thumb drive (a Kingston 2GB mini)
kinda bent and didn't work again, the USB port sometimes works,
sometimes freaks. The thumb drive is dead no matter where I use
it. There is no visible damage on the drive or the Acer Aspire One
port. How bad is the damamge likely to be and how does one repair it?
Open it up and resolder a new port?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

What happens with the USB port when you plug something else into it?
"sometimes works, sometimes freaks"?

The usual solution is a motherboard replacement. De-soldering and
soldering is a pretty delicate operation and requires really good
tools... Ben Myers
Old August 31st 09, 06:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
[email protected]

Well, I haven't totally isolated what exactly is wrong when I plug a
CD or Floppy drive into the USB and which one. I know the USB drive
won't work at all on any machine. I am hoping the damage is mostly on
the thumb drive. Maybe I somehow need to flush the buffers or
something. I had to reformat the floppy I was using. I know I sound
confused because I am. I have to try each of the ports with several
devices until I can better describe the problem.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2