NYC local event: UNIGROUP 15-NOV-2018 (Thu) Meeting: iSCSI Storage Technology

Old November 11th 18, 10:55 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

Default NYC local event: UNIGROUP 15-NOV-2018 (Thu) Meeting: iSCSI Storage Technology

Unigroup is THIS Thursday evening...
Please RSVP, if you are planning to attend...

UNIGROUP OF NEW YORK - UNIX USERS GROUP - NOVEMBER 2018 ANNOUNCEMENTS

1. UNIGROUP'S NOVEMBER 2018 GENERAL MEETING

------------------------
Topic: iSCSI Storage Technology
------------------------

Speaker: Richard Ens, Sales Engineer,
Datera http://www.datera.io

When: Thursday, November 15th, 2018 (** Regular 3rd Thursday **)

Whe The Cooper Union http://www.cooper.edu
School of Engineering
41 Cooper Square (3rd Ave @ 7th St, bet. 6th & 7th Sts)
East Village, Manhattan
New York City
Meeting Room: LL210 (** New Building: Lower Level **)

Time: 6:15 PM - 6:30 PM Registration
6:30 PM - 6:45 PM Ask the Wizard, Questions,
Answers and Current Events
6:45 PM - 7:00 PM Unigroup Business and Announcements
7:00 PM - 9:30 PM Main Presentation

Cost: See the Meeting+Membership Fee Schedule Below.

INTRODUCTION:
-------------

Unigroup's November 2018 meeting will be on iSCSI Storage Technology.
Our speaker is from Datera, who provides High-Performance Automated
Data Orchestration and Software Defined Low-Latency Enterprise Storage.
We may also cover aspects of Linux Low-Latency Storage I/O.

Unigroup has a couple handfuls of speakers lined up for our upcoming
meetings, and we are working on locking down topics/speakers to
meeting dates (see the updated Upcoming Meetings section below).

Unigroup's Meeting Calendar:
15-NOV-2018: iSCSI Storage Technology (Datera/Richard Ens).
17-JAN-2019: To-be-announced. (Note: Date may need to be moved).
21-FEB-2019: Tentatively: AMD Server CPU (EPYC) Roadmap.
21-MAR-2019: To-be-announced.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
---------------------

Most Unigroup meetings are open to the public!

To REGISTER for this event, please RSVP by using the Unigroup
Registration Page:
http://www.unigroup.org/unigroup-rsvp.html

This will allow us to automate the registration process.
(Registration will also add you to our mailing list.)
Please avoid Emailed RSVPs.

Please continue to check the Unigroup web site and meeting page,
for any last minute updates concerning this meeting. If you
registered for this meeting, please check your Email for any last
minute announcements as the meeting approaches. Also make sure
any anti-spam white-lists are updated to _ALLOW_ Unigroup traffic!
If you block Unigroup Emails, your address will be dropped from
our mailing list.

Also, if you have an interest in Unigroup, be sure to receive
Unigroup information DIRECTLY from Unigroup, via direct receipt
of our Emails and by visiting the Unigroup Web Site. NO OTHER
SOURCE provides timely, accurate and complete Unigroup information.

Please RSVP as soon as possible, preferably at least 2-3 days
prior to the meeting date, so we can plan the food order.
RSVP deadline is usually the night before the meeting day.

Note: RSVP is requested for this location to make sure the guard
will let you into the building. RSVP also helps us to
properly plan the meeting (food, drinks, handouts,
seating, etc.) and speed up your sign-in at the meeting.
If you forget to RSVP prior to the meeting day, you may
still be able to show up and attend our meeting, however,
we cannot guarantee what building security will do if
you are "not on the list" (note: things tend to work out OK).

MAIN PRESENTATION
-----------------

Topic: iSCSI Storage Technology

Related Topics/Keywords
-----------------------

iSCSI Storage Technology, Storage Protocols, Storage Orchestration,
Linux Low Latency Storage I/O.

Introduction & Description of Talk
----------------------------------

To-be-announced.

Presentation Outline
--------------------

iSCSI Storage Technology.

- To-be-announced.

References & Web Resources:
---------------------------

Wikipedia on iSCSI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISCSI

Wikipedia on iSCSI Target:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI_target

Datera:
http://www.datera.io

Speaker Biography
-----------------

Richard Ens - Sales Engineer - Dataera

To-be-announced.

Company Biography
-----------------

Datera: To-be-announced.

For further information please visit:
http://www.datera.io

Giveaways:
----------

Addison-Wesley Professional/Prentice Hall PTR, and O'Reilly have
been kind enough to provide us with review copies of some of their
books, which we will continue to raffle off as giveaways at our
meetings. The publishers always ask that the persons receiving
the books provide a review and/or feedback about their books.

Unigroup would like to thank both companies for the support
provided by their User Group programs.

As always, all of the books will be available for review at the
start of the meeting.

Note: Our book supply is currently running low, and we need to
restock.

Fee Schedule:
-------------

Unigroup is a Professional Technical Organization and User Group,
and its members pay a yearly membership fee. For Unigroup members,
there is usually no additional charges (ie. no meeting fees) during
their membership year. Non-members who wish to attend Unigroup
meetings are usually required to pay a "Single Meeting Fee".

Yearly Membership (includes all meetings): $ 50.00
Student Yearly Membership (with current! ID): $ 25.00
Non-Member Single Meeting Fee: $ 20.00
Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with! ID): $ 5.00

* Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.
MasterCard, VISA, Discover (since 2013).

! Students: We are looking for proof that you are
currently enrolled in classes (rather than working
full-time), and as such, your Student ID should show
a CURRENT date. We have been presented Student IDs
containing NO dates whatsoever, and in the
current environment, perpetual/non-expiring access
to university facilities just does not feel right.
If your ID contains no date, please bring
additional proof of current enrollment. Thanks,

NOTE: Simply receiving Unigroup Email Announcements does
NOT indicate membership in Unigroup.

Members: Remember to bring your Unigroup membership card with
you to the meeting, to confirm your yearly renewal date!

Food:
-----

Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served.

This normally includes "wraps" such as turkey, roast beef,
chicken, tuna and grilled vegetables as well as assorted salads
(potato, tossed, pasta, etc), cookies, brownies, bottled water
and assorted SOFT beverages.

However, due to a continuing situation at our caterer, we are
planning to have: pizza (cheese+veggy), soda, water, cookies,
and brownies at this meeting.

Directions:
-----------

The Cooper Union http://www.cooper.edu
School of Engineering (*** New Building ***)
41 Cooper Square (3rd Avenue @ 7th St, between 6th & 7th Streets)
East Village, Manhattan
New York City, 10003
Meeting Room: ** (See Above, Room Changes Month-to-Month)

Located on the East side of Cooper Square. Look for the
new building with the non-traditional appearance.
Entrance is at the corner of 3rd Avenue and 7 Street.

Building lobby sign-in is required at the guard's desk.
Enter the building, check in with the guard at the lobby for
directions to Unigroup (the room varies from month-to-month).

Nearest mass transit stations a
'6' to Astor Place (stops right at The Cooper Union),
then walk 1 block East and 1 block South.
'R' to 8th Street, then walk about 2 blocks East
then 1 block South.
'4/5/N/Q' to Union Square, then walk South and East.
or transfer to the downtown '6' to Astor Place.
'B/D/F/V' to Broadway-Lafayette, then walk North and East,
or transfer to the uptown '6' to Astor Place.

Free street parking in the area becomes available at 6pm.

There are also parking lots on Broadway, at (or just south of)
Astor Place (8th Street), across from the West side of
Cooper Square, as well as various others in the area.

-----

Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

--------------
2. PRIOR MEETINGS
--------------

** Formal Thank You's to our previous speakers will appear
in an upcoming announcement. Unigroup issues a "Thank You"
to all our speakers and sponsors!

Our thanks goes to The Cooper Union School of Engineering,
and its staff, for hosting our meetings.

----------------------------
3. LOCAL TRADE SHOWS AND EVENTS
----------------------------

a) Cloud Expo NYC
==============

Dates: Mon, Nov 12, 2018
Tue, Nov 13. 2018

Whe Midtown, NYC

For information and complimentary exhibits registration visit:
http://www.cloudcomputingexpo.com

-----------------
4. UPCOMING MEETINGS
-----------------

We have a series of meetings in the works:
- 20190???: Multi-Path Redundant Networking/Routing/Switching
- 20190???: Oracle Solaris 11.4 Release Meeting
- 20190???: IBM AIX Tuning and AIX Update
- 20190???: AMD Server CPU (EPYC) Roadmap
- 20190???: SDP - Software Defined Perimeter
- 20190???: Linux on ARM
- 20190???: AI+ML using Open Source Tools
- 20190???: The Latest C++ Standards, Part 2.
- 2019????: Datacenter Standards Update
- Planning: New CPU Architectures, x86 and ARM.
- Planning: Programming for Performance with GPUs.
- Planning: The State of the C++ Ecosystem.
- Planning: Popular Linux Distribution Round-Up and Comparison
- Planning: Building a Data Server with ZFS
- Planning: Virtualization: KVM, Xen/XenServer, VirtualBox
- Planning: DNS / Dynamic DNS
- Planning: Fibrechannel and iSCSI Storage
- Planning: IPsec and VPNs (possibly 2 meetings)
- Planning: Cloud and Grid Computing
- Planning: Unix/Linux Authentication
- Planning: NO SPAM!
- Planning: Crypto / PKI / GPG-PGP
- Planning: The latest on *BSD (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD)
- Planning: The latest on AIX
- Planning: Security Threats & Anti-Virus
- Unix/Linux/BSD Clusters and Clustered Databases
- Patching and Updating Unix/Linux/BSD (rpm. yum, yast, apt, etc.)
- Building Custom Kernels Unix/Linux/BSD
- Building a Firewall using FreeBSD and Linux
- LAMP Part 2 - PHP/Python
- Unix 40th+ Birthday Celebration
- Samba
- High Performance Internet Servers / Web Acceleration
- Unix Office Tools: Word Processors, Spreadsheets, Accounting Packages.
- GNU Development Environments
- Java and/or JavaScript Programming
- Web Development Frameworks

** Unigroup Needs Speakers!!
Please let us know about any other meeting topics that you may be
interested in. Potential speakers on Unix/Linux/BSD related
technology topics should please contact the Unigroup Board.

--------------------
5. UNIGROUP INFORMATION
--------------------

Unigroup is one of the oldest and largest Unix User's Groups serving
the Greater New York City Regional Area since the early 1980s.
Unigroup is a not-for-profit, vendor-neutral and member funded
volunteer organization. Unigroup holds regular and special event
meetings throughout the year on technical topics relating to the
Unix/Linux/BSD Operating Systems and User Communities. Unigroup
meetings tend to be focused towards System Administrators, Network
Administrators, and Software Developers.

Unigroup holds regular meetings planned for (at a minimum) the Third
THURSDAY of Odd Months. We generally try to hold Field Trip or
Vendor Specific Meetings on the Even Months, although we do have the
ability to hold monthly meetings at our regular meeting location.

Planned regular meeting dates are (usually 3rd Thursdays):
11/15/2018, 01/17(??)/2019, 02/21/2019, 03/21/2019, 05/16/2018, ...
Also watch for Special Event meetings and "Field Trips" to the
facilities of local hardware and software vendors.

= For Unigroup Information, Events and Meeting Announcements be sure to =
= visit our World Wide Web Home Page: =
= http://www.unigroup.org =

For further information or to get on the Unigroup Electronic Mail Mailing
List send an EMail message to:
unilist (-a_t-) unigroup.org

To contact the Board of Directors of Unigroup, send an EMail message to:
uniboard (-a_t-) unigroup.org

If you have recently attended a meeting and you are not receiving
Email announcements, please send us an Email and we will make
corrections to our lists.

Please Email the Board with any suggestions, especially potential
meeting topics and speakers. Unigroup welcomes contributions and
content suggestions for our newsletter. Unigroup is a volunteer
organization and we need your assistance! Please let us know if you
can help!

-Rob Weiner
Unigroup Executive Director
unilist (-a_t-) unigroup.org