A Computer hardware and components forum. ComputerBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ComputerBanter.com forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

More Delayed Sandisk Weirdities



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 8th 19, 11:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,246
Default More Delayed Sandisk Weirdities

A year ago or more I got into some new Micro Sandisk cards.

Four or five of them: 16 32 and 64G. New speed Ultra/Pro stuff to
older ratings.

The newest and fastest ones, 64G, I thought I'd bricked.

Then, I recently got a 7" HandDroid, running a variant of *NIX, like
most do.

Turns out, with the HandDroid, I can format one of the 64G, a 32G, all
newer standards, as well as the slower variants of both a 32G and 16G.

On the PC (with a Kingston Micro-memory USB adaptor), however, it
doesn't like anything other and but Slow Standards. One of the 64G
appears consequently bricked and ruined due to PC attempts to format.

What FAT32 for a HandDroid "standard" means, evidently to the faster
variants of these memory boards, is something entirely Greek in PC
terms.

At least I do have now usage of the faster 32G and one similar 64G.

I still have yet further compatibility steps to test the faster cards
from a more modern Windows USB connection. The HandDroid will not
connect to less than Windows 7.

As it is, I can work solely through the Kingston adaptor, copying
files with the slower variants of memory cards, from an older Windows.
Those faster cards, though, are bad news from an older Windows OS.
When I attempted to format them a year ago with FAT32, they were
rendered irrecoverable and I thought bricked (one 64G still is and the
HandDroid errors or won't sequence into a format for it).

Good news is those faster cards apparently do work, aren't a total
write-off after keeping them for this chance contingency.

I'll still run with the 32G slower card for greatest PC compatibility,
though. The HandDroid, wouldn't you know it, apparently wants the
faster stuff -- and may display some sort of OS routine and reminder
everytime it sees it.

That's just a HandDroid, though: As a class, intrusive as hell and
don't give a good damn, so long as you're registered to a cloud where
they can track you.

Mine's OFF: I bought it for a book-reading device, which pleases me in
that respect;- And a bunch of books obviously needn't qualify for
potentially bricking the whole damn shebang over a RootKit.

Funny how that worked out, though. It was like a $10 handheld MP3
player that side-tracked me into identifying potential FAT32 format
issues between a stated standard of memory devices for a HandDroid,
PC, and whatever Sandisk else (Western Digital) is up to with the
high-speed "ultra and pro" series cards.

There's memory and then there's memory. And Fat32 doesn't necessarily
mean what it used to mean if you cross the line between these card
types.
  #2  
Old June 8th 19, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_26_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,009
Default More Delayed Sandisk Weirdities

Flasherly wrote:
A year ago or more I got into some new Micro Sandisk cards.

Four or five of them: 16 32 and 64G. New speed Ultra/Pro stuff to
older ratings.

The newest and fastest ones, 64G, I thought I'd bricked.

Then, I recently got a 7" HandDroid, running a variant of *NIX, like
most do.

Turns out, with the HandDroid, I can format one of the 64G, a 32G, all
newer standards, as well as the slower variants of both a 32G and 16G.

On the PC (with a Kingston Micro-memory USB adaptor), however, it
doesn't like anything other and but Slow Standards. One of the 64G
appears consequently bricked and ruined due to PC attempts to format.

What FAT32 for a HandDroid "standard" means, evidently to the faster
variants of these memory boards, is something entirely Greek in PC
terms.

At least I do have now usage of the faster 32G and one similar 64G.

I still have yet further compatibility steps to test the faster cards
from a more modern Windows USB connection. The HandDroid will not
connect to less than Windows 7.

As it is, I can work solely through the Kingston adaptor, copying
files with the slower variants of memory cards, from an older Windows.
Those faster cards, though, are bad news from an older Windows OS.
When I attempted to format them a year ago with FAT32, they were
rendered irrecoverable and I thought bricked (one 64G still is and the
HandDroid errors or won't sequence into a format for it).

Good news is those faster cards apparently do work, aren't a total
write-off after keeping them for this chance contingency.

I'll still run with the 32G slower card for greatest PC compatibility,
though. The HandDroid, wouldn't you know it, apparently wants the
faster stuff -- and may display some sort of OS routine and reminder
everytime it sees it.

That's just a HandDroid, though: As a class, intrusive as hell and
don't give a good damn, so long as you're registered to a cloud where
they can track you.

Mine's OFF: I bought it for a book-reading device, which pleases me in
that respect;- And a bunch of books obviously needn't qualify for
potentially bricking the whole damn shebang over a RootKit.

Funny how that worked out, though. It was like a $10 handheld MP3
player that side-tracked me into identifying potential FAT32 format
issues between a stated standard of memory devices for a HandDroid,
PC, and whatever Sandisk else (Western Digital) is up to with the
high-speed "ultra and pro" series cards.

There's memory and then there's memory. And Fat32 doesn't necessarily
mean what it used to mean if you cross the line between these card
types.


Not true.

The controllers (inside the mobile device, or on a card reader
on your desktop) implement different generations of standards.
Maybe you need something newer than your Kingston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card

SDSC: 1 MiB to 2 GiB
SDHC: 2 GiB to 32 GiB == pretty common limit
SDXC: 32 GiB to 2 TiB == your 64GB SD card needs this
SDUC: 2 TiB to 128 TiB

FAT32 is a file system that sits on top of that.
An alternative is ExFAT (which can be added to WinXP SP3
with a downloadable package).

You could pick up something that looks better than this
one, for the SDXC version of SD Card.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1682075...82E16820752002

Paul
  #3  
Old June 9th 19, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,246
Default More Delayed Sandisk Weirdities

On Sat, 08 Jun 2019 09:29:56 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Not true.

The controllers (inside the mobile device, or on a card reader
on your desktop) implement different generations of standards.
Maybe you need something newer than your Kingston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card

SDSC: 1 MiB to 2 GiB
SDHC: 2 GiB to 32 GiB == pretty common limit
SDXC: 32 GiB to 2 TiB == your 64GB SD card needs this
SDUC: 2 TiB to 128 TiB

FAT32 is a file system that sits on top of that.
An alternative is ExFAT (which can be added to WinXP SP3
with a downloadable package).

You could pick up something that looks better than this
one, for the SDXC version of SD Card.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1682075...82E16820752002

Paul


That thought did actually occur to me. Be curious to see what a new
model, multi-sized SD card USB-to-PC adaptor (Kingston Tech: Part#
FCR-HS219/7) might be up to these days. Mine would go back ages and
ages, or closer to where the latest or smallest Micro SD card were
first coming out;- And, no doubt, well before these Sandisk series
Ultra/Pro "Class speeds" were released. The issues are apparently
confined to speeds, standards and their nomenclatures: earlier and
slower Micro-SD speeds neither have compatibility issues with PC,
Droid OS, or Kingston. Whereas the HandDroid would object if a slower
card is inserted: I have to terminate the OS-to-firmware SD Card
detection routine, (catch all phrased to register to its parent Cloud
Services for ostensible "card-type" updates), whereupon it will
function without issue for older and slower Sandisk 16 and 32G cards.

Functional means it will format at stated compatibility for FAT32
standards. Attempting to write to that through the Kingston is an
eventuality and lock-up situation, rendering the card effectively
bricked and no longer identifiable for PC purposes.

Of the many afore combinations possible, I haven't tried them to test
on Windows7, where the HandDroid does do any actual PC talking,
(though a USB interface cable for principally Explorer file copying
operations, or unprincipled rewriting it in entirety from developer
RootKit perspectives).

I'll keep the Kingston, though, as it is operationally functional for
copying purposes, with a slow SD standard across HandDroid and old PC
standards.

(Appears I actually did brick one of the fastest 64G SD card series,
an ULTRA class Sandisk while attempting to format it with FAT32
repeatedly over a course of various Disk Management tools. At least
to the point where the HandDroid want's nothing to do with it either.)
  #4  
Old June 9th 19, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,246
Default More Delayed Sandisk Weirdities

On Sat, 08 Jun 2019 19:05:07 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

I'll keep the Kingston, though, as it is operationally functional for
copying purposes, with a slow SD standard across HandDroid and old PC
standards.


6 KB/s at a "Class 5" speed rating, I'm getting.

The last SD card I got (for that MP3 player -- out in the car or I'd
pull it for alooksee) not sure if it may be somewhat faster, but would
be a 32G card. I don't believe larger capacity SD, 32G, is longer
manufactured at slower ratings.

Slower SD is, perhaps being a misqualification, to apply to the MP3
unit for compatibility. I'd have to format a faster card from the
HandDroid and juggle around some MP3 files, get them copied to the
faster memory on a valid SD format -- transfer the card to the MP3
unit to see if it takes.

There are a lot more ratings and classes than a a couple Sandisk cards
I have, or a slow Canon 32G SD, I happened across from 5 or 10 years
ago, which I settled for (and first posted): working operability with
the Kingston adaptor, an older OS .and. this new HandDroid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...f_memory_cards

The MP3 unit as well accepts a standard USB flashstick for additional
external memory. I have it equipped for 96G storage: 64G USB + 32G
SD.

I believe in principle this HandDroid does the same thing, will accept
for augmented "system memory", for applications and storage, both
memory from USB and SD ports. (From a micro USB port fitting but of
course.)
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SanDisk Issues (continued) Flasherly[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 5 December 14th 16 10:58 AM
A Sandisk Thumbnailscrew Flasherly[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 4 December 9th 16 01:59 AM
Opinions of SanDisk's U3 System? MF[_2_] General 0 August 28th 09 08:04 PM
Got Sandisk 8 gig flash--question MZB Dell Computers 9 October 13th 08 12:44 AM
Problem with sandisk MP3 player Zed Rafi General 7 September 2nd 05 12:55 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ComputerBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.