Via USB 2.0 ****

Old February 18th 05, 07:01 PM
Gregory Kleverlaan

Default Via USB 2.0 ****

I have an external hard disk usb 2.0

my older machine uses an NEC chipset USB 2.0 card and the external hard disk
works fine when connected..

but my newer machine has a Giga-byte montherbard with onboard VIA chipset
USB 2.0 port. When I connect the external hard disk, the hard disk fails to
work. I get I/0.

I've read that VIA usb 2.0 has heaps of problems and bugs accociated with
it. Thats why it sux.

so I have to now buy a NEC usb 2.0 card just because VIA is so bugged and I
can't use the new external hard disk with any VIA chipset usb 2.0.

Old February 18th 05, 08:23 PM
Gonzo

My current machines VIA usb works fine.

Are you sure its not your PSU not putting out enough juice?

How about your USB cables? Have you checked those? Are you sure they are
not usb 1.1 cables?

Old February 19th 05, 05:11 AM
KatManDEW

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:23:24 GMT, "Gonzo"
wrote:

My current machines VIA usb works fine.

Are you sure its not your PSU not putting out enough juice?

How about your USB cables? Have you checked those? Are you sure they are
not usb 1.1 cables?

"Gregory Kleverlaan" wrote in message
I have an external hard disk usb 2.0

my older machine uses an NEC chipset USB 2.0 card and the external hard
disk works fine when connected..

but my newer machine has a Giga-byte montherbard with onboard VIA chipset
USB 2.0 port. When I connect the external hard disk, the hard disk fails
to work. I get I/0.

I've read that VIA usb 2.0 has heaps of problems and bugs accociated with
it. Thats why it sux.

so I have to now buy a NEC usb 2.0 card just because VIA is so bugged and
I can't use the new external hard disk with any VIA chipset usb 2.0.

WHat's different about USB 1.1 and 2.0 cables? Could that be why 2.0
devices don't work on the front ports of my PC, which are connected to
the motherboard header on my 8KNXP?

Old February 19th 05, 03:01 PM
Gonzo

wrote:

[...]

Yep! If you are using the older 1.1 cables on a usb 2.0 device and
controller then this may be the cause of all your problems.

Not guaranteed but I would check that first as you are supposed to use 2.0
cables on 2.0 devices otherwise it either wont work or it wont have enough
bandwidth etc.

Old February 20th 05, 02:44 AM
SteveK

wrote:

[...]

The only difference in those cables - usb 2.0 runs cable's shield on a
separate pin.
The rest is identical. U can easily clip off that shield for using as usb
1.0

PC-line disk are shit. half_pint Cdr 39 November 17th 04 10:37 PM
Audio CD are shit. terry smith Cdr 72 October 14th 04 04:42 AM
Adaptec 'Easy' audio CD ceator is SHIT. terry smith Cdr 23 October 8th 04 02:46 PM
Radion 9800 PRO shit or what ! redTed Ati Videocards 21 May 4th 04 10:13 PM
What a shit week Well-Tech Computer Centre UK Computer Vendors 23 August 14th 03 10:45 AM