A Computer hardware and components forum. ComputerBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ComputerBanter.com forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

2T SSD SATA - $250



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old June 13th 18, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,084
Default 2T SSD SATA - $250 (Micro form case)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:15:05 -0400, Larc
wrote:


SSDs serve as system drives in my 4 PCs, but I use HDDs for storage (and regular
backups of the SSDs) and have no plans to change that setup. I know lots of others
use the same arrangement, so guess many HDDs are still being sold.


Saw another SSD, like the other (MICRON), this morning. 520G for $80
or a third of a 200-write/cycle expectancy of the Micron 2T SDD at
$225. Team something-or-other brand I've seen before but hasn't
especially a review base: Nobody apparently cares to know what it is.
Publicity is there, however, actively promoted for reliable memory. I
even tried to find out if the memory is TLC (or an variant
improvement), but specs appear no less as prolific as reviews.

SSDs are fine, for a premium, if a little worn for the appeal they had
when I bought my first, both 64G and later 128G Samsungs, before the
last Crucial. The Crucial turned a little tricky about a legacy
setup, enabling active partitions from a software boot arbitrator, to
eventually force the issue, (selecting active status and then loading
from multiple partitions not limited to any single drive), which I'd
not run into with plattered drives prior.

I've three PC cases available for four motherboards, only don't like
the point of the third, an extra from sizing standpoint. I'm getting
a promotion sale (no tax/shipping) directly from Rosewill. . .

ROSEWILL Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case, Steel and plastic
computer case with 1x 80mm rear fan, Top I/O ports: 1x USB3.0, 2x USB
2.0 and Audio In/Out ports (SRM-01).

Drives no problemo - it takes 'em all.

One really dinky case -- think a box of cereal: 12x12x6 (LHW). All
main factor MicroAtx MBs, though. Something different, perhaps suited
in mind for a convenience to get around between other computers -- a
temporary proximity maintenance or machine adjustment platform.

It's $25 for a few more days, a case for anyone interested in
shoeboxes.
  #12  
Old June 14th 18, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,084
Default 2T SSD SATA - $250

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 13:23:43 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Crucial 256G I paid: $120

HWino-
Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 [14290CA47846]
http://www.legitreviews.com/crucial-...-review_143984

Twice the memory now, price adjusting for what I paid, for Crucial MX
implementations using 3D NAND presumably and at some added performance
premium. Samsung pro-series use V-NAND, I might say 3D NAND below
(unless incorrect).

Interesting is apparently SLC technology got a hole shot of its bottom
due to marketing factors. People, on a universal whole, just couldn't
get enough of wallowing in the cheapest TLC denominator possible. The
result is pressure, rather a wholesale movement on part of the SSD
industry to produce, cater to a more viable cost-effective marketing
force.

Not trickle down but one hand washes the other laissez-faire.

My MLC technology is apt as well to affected, somewhere and to what
extent of marketing balances, comparative to 3D- and V-NAND, I'm not
sure.

Last and not least to mention Western Digital, whose SSD tactics --
since acquisition of SanDisk, a WD subsidiary and their SSD division--
is to hide and impede identification of NAND technology from model
nomenclatures. Indeed a same model WD SSD may vary between processes
and materials used from one to the next unit.

Are we caring?

Possibly not Money talks, and, well, you're probably ready for stroll
at this point by now.

Down doggie. [Nice mutt.]
  #13  
Old June 14th 18, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_26_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 807
Default 2T SSD SATA - $250

Flasherly wrote:


Interesting is apparently SLC technology got a hole shot of its bottom
due to marketing factors.


SLC flash chips are still being made.
256Gbit = 32GB per chip

http://www.spectek.com/menus/flash_d...Type=SLC+256Gb

That means someone still uses them.

Paul

  #14  
Old June 15th 18, 06:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,084
Default 2T SSD SATA - $250

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:42:42 -0400, Paul
wrote:

SLC flash chips are still being made.
256Gbit = 32GB per chip

http://www.spectek.com/menus/flash_d...Type=SLC+256Gb

That means someone still uses them.

Paul


Of course - Foremost enterprise and military.

Engineering is to succumb to the Iron Fist of Moore's Law, that
dictates 30% cost reduction over an umbrella effect, whereby, next
year, planar and 3D NAND will indifferently achieve efficiency.

According to Mr. Guru of Objective Analysis ... yep, an investment
firm.

https://www.chipestimate.com/Memory-...ash/blogs/2899


Meanwhile ... back on terra firma with my EZRZ series, ran the new 2T
plattered drive's ser# by WD for validity, and I'm good for the 2020
warranty. 30-day no charge return shipping on mistakes and hardware
faults at a low-balled $60 price placement on the EZRZ. All that's
left is to reach over to the docking station, power it up for the
first and run a 3rd party format all the way across at FAT32.
  #15  
Old June 18th 18, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,084
Default Rosewill $25 Micro form case

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 14:58:29 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Nahhh... Not a box of cereal, but more like regular ATX/mini-type
towers. Hardly smaller. Regular rolled steel case except for a
couple differences. The front plastic is totally detachable, made so,
with four insert clasps that easily enough pop out, and all control
wiring follows in like manner;- Wiring control terminal functions are
not on the front, though, but the on the side lips of the front panel.
Other weirdity are smaller internal drive mounting, (top 5.25 slots
are fine), being a single-screw secured swivel plate where smaller HDD
drives are side-secured or mounted parallel and onto that plate;-
normal cases are perpendicular, usually to a drive cage in contact to
the four thin side-strips of a drive, not the drive's two flat surface
areas, one being flat metal and the other the control circuitry and
platter mold. But drives do, always have had that contingency with
screw sets for such mounting. Only it's my first time up with one.
Not exactly efficient but then heavy storage is not primary
consideration for this particular setup.

Still, for not one dime more than $25 . . .

ROSEWILL Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case, Steel and plastic
computer case with 1x 80mm rear fan, Top I/O ports: 1x USB3.0, 2x USB
2.0 and Audio In/Out ports (SRM-01).


There's not much else. Or a whole lot more serious choices until
possibly starting upwards of $35.

One of four, all $25, being one only other model that caught my eye,
first off with handles, besides kind of cute in being a white-painted
case. What killed it, though, was no provision for a 5.25 DVD. Hard
to build up an OS or do software maintenance without optical media.
Flashdrives, right. ...Sometimes a lot more of a PITA to build on one
first, invariably from other DVDs, ISO images, transitional stages and
such, than just easier to come out of a regular DVD library, which I
prefer. Where I prefer is the OS installs on a flashdrive, DVD speeds
for a larger install being closer to painfully slow.
  #16  
Old June 18th 18, 06:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_26_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 807
Default Rosewill $25 Micro form case

Flasherly wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 14:58:29 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Nahhh... Not a box of cereal, but more like regular ATX/mini-type
towers. Hardly smaller. Regular rolled steel case except for a
couple differences. The front plastic is totally detachable, made so,
with four insert clasps that easily enough pop out, and all control
wiring follows in like manner;- Wiring control terminal functions are
not on the front, though, but the on the side lips of the front panel.
Other weirdity are smaller internal drive mounting, (top 5.25 slots
are fine), being a single-screw secured swivel plate where smaller HDD
drives are side-secured or mounted parallel and onto that plate;-
normal cases are perpendicular, usually to a drive cage in contact to
the four thin side-strips of a drive, not the drive's two flat surface
areas, one being flat metal and the other the control circuitry and
platter mold. But drives do, always have had that contingency with
screw sets for such mounting. Only it's my first time up with one.
Not exactly efficient but then heavy storage is not primary
consideration for this particular setup.

Still, for not one dime more than $25 . . .

ROSEWILL Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case, Steel and plastic
computer case with 1x 80mm rear fan, Top I/O ports: 1x USB3.0, 2x USB
2.0 and Audio In/Out ports (SRM-01).


There's not much else. Or a whole lot more serious choices until
possibly starting upwards of $35.

One of four, all $25, being one only other model that caught my eye,
first off with handles, besides kind of cute in being a white-painted
case. What killed it, though, was no provision for a 5.25 DVD. Hard
to build up an OS or do software maintenance without optical media.
Flashdrives, right. ...Sometimes a lot more of a PITA to build on one
first, invariably from other DVDs, ISO images, transitional stages and
such, than just easier to come out of a regular DVD library, which I
prefer. Where I prefer is the OS installs on a flashdrive, DVD speeds
for a larger install being closer to painfully slow.


I keep a DVD burner in a USB enclosure. The enclosure
has a separate power supply. I can both burn stuff
onto blanks, or boot installer DVDs. This allows
working on computers without an optical drive.

As for the Rosewill computer case, I like the metal on
the case to be robust. Some modern computer cases
are made of "tomato soup tin" metal, and just the
shipment by the UPS courier results in the case arriving
damaged. I try to get the SECC metal thickness before
I buy.

Paul
  #17  
Old June 18th 18, 09:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,084
Default Rosewill $25 Micro form case

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 01:35:34 -0400, Paul
wrote:


I keep a DVD burner in a USB enclosure. The enclosure
has a separate power supply. I can both burn stuff
onto blanks, or boot installer DVDs. This allows
working on computers without an optical drive.

As for the Rosewill computer case, I like the metal on
the case to be robust. Some modern computer cases
are made of "tomato soup tin" metal, and just the
shipment by the UPS courier results in the case arriving
damaged. I try to get the SECC metal thickness before
I buy.

Paul


I'd forgotten that. Been watching for an external DVD, seen a couple
sales, but somehow missed them. Either or, but a decent $20 External
thin laptop-style DVD sale and a USB enclosure/PS would be close if
not less. Wouldn't half mind trying out a BRay burner, only an
atrocious amount of rewriteable DVD discs I've amassed keeps that
notion in check. I'd looked up SECC at the time, seeing noted
somewhere the Rosewill complied with it. Same price, fulfilled or
shipped from Rosewill, and one dollar more on Amazon, than NewEgg
working presumably with stock on hand. Amazon's shipping is also a
little different. I suspect they've a distribution center nearby for
being in high-population area. Orders seem quicker and handling is
given a little more care. And they've their own form of delivery
fleet. Types of vehicles that show up can vary widely. I've a 4'x4'
card table for easy temporary setups. An internal DVD helps after
monitor, computer, keyboard and mouse just about cover it up.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing SATA bios mode from native SATA to IDE - file or volume accessissues DOS Guy Storage (alt) 8 October 25th 09 04:32 PM
p4p800se and wdc2500ks 250gb sata: imo always use the asus-supplied sata cables fredo Asus Motherboards 0 November 1st 06 04:28 PM
Converting XPS400 Intel 82801 AHCPI SATA to SATA RAID? Will Dell Computers 0 June 27th 06 08:34 PM
SATA & SCSI, SATA link & SATA Raid Aldo Larrabiata Asus Motherboards 1 December 2nd 04 08:27 PM
7vaxp ultra sata controller bios and SATA data corruption Dimitris Gigbyte Motherboards 0 December 1st 03 02:18 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ComputerBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.