cd rom stuck?

Old February 22nd 04, 07:26 PM
David Ciemny

Default cd rom stuck?

Hey all..can't seem to get my cd rom open. It is functioning properly but
seems stuck. I tried to stick a pin the hole in front but it won't pop it
open.

It always responds kind of slowly. I have two sata hard drives in a raid 0
config. I have my cd drive plugged into ide 1. Would this have something to
do with the slow reaction?

Any help would be appreciated. Can't switch my games since I can't get the
drive open.

DC

Old February 22nd 04, 07:48 PM
kony

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:26:12 GMT, "David Ciemny"
wrote:

Hey all..can't seem to get my cd rom open. It is functioning properly but
seems stuck. I tried to stick a pin the hole in front but it won't pop it
open.

It always responds kind of slowly. I have two sata hard drives in a raid 0
config. I have my cd drive plugged into ide 1. Would this have something to
do with the slow reaction?

Any help would be appreciated. Can't switch my games since I can't get the
drive open.

DC

First, eliminate the OS from the situation, by entering the BIOS, booting
to DOS, or just being quick about it, trying to eject the tray before
booting to the OS.

You might also unplug the IDE cable, it is not needed for the drive to
respond to the front eject button.

Some drives have an oddity, that there's a hole for manual eject lever,
but the lever is actually in a different location. In such a case you may
need to remove the drive, then if the tray has the faceplate mounted to
it, flex the middle of the bottom of that tray faceplate and lift upwards
to remove it (carefully else you may break it) then you can remove the
entire faceplate for better access to the release lever.

It could be a mechanical failure of the tray mechanism or electronic
failure (assuming it still won't eject outside of the OS.
Old February 23rd 04, 12:58 AM
David Ciemny

thanks kony..going into the bios worked. Next ? would be what causes the
delay or non response from the drive if it would not be mechanical.

Burning software or something else causing problems?

Thanks...

DC

Old February 23rd 04, 02:58 AM
kony

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:58:56 GMT, "David Ciemny"
wrote:

thanks kony..going into the bios worked. Next ? would be what causes the
delay or non response from the drive if it would not be mechanical.

Burning software or something else causing problems?

Thanks...

DC

Burning software can do that, for example installing a packet-writing
software but not having it's tray app loading at boot... not sure how your
system is configured, nor the software, but assuming it's only in
(whichever OS), there's where all changes are needed.