How to remove DTSecure Privacy on Kingston Datatraveler ?

Old March 9th 07, 01:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Glitch

Default How to remove DTSecure Privacy on Kingston Datatraveler ?

Hi

I got a 4 GB Kingston Data traveler (DTSP/4GB) in Xmas present from
med chef, but the thing is, I want to install winxp or something on it
and boot up etc..
http://www.kingston.com/flash/privacyUSB.asp

It seems I cant access anything unless I type in a security code which
blocks it from being bootable.

It works like 2 drives appear when inserting it 1 drive has a cdrom
icon with CDFS partition and the second drive looks like a normal USB
stick without security. Then it pops up with this "DataTraveler
Secure-Privacy Edition" password that I have to set to get access
to anything.

Anyone have experienced how to remove this security from such drive ?

I really wish anyone know how and you will save my hard work, have
tried many things for almost 3 days in a row.

Thanks in advance.

Old March 9th 07, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

"Glitch" wrote in message
[...]

It is intentionally made with no "Public Area" to be secure. This is
not the stick to do what, you claim, you want.

Luck;
Ken

Old March 9th 07, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message

"Glitch" wrote in message
[...]

P.S. Check this out:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...ml?tag=nl.e101

Old March 9th 07, 08:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
mike

Glitch wrote:
[...]

Maybe this is relevant:

If you do a search on the net for Geek Squad and U3, you should find
their program that will remove the U3 software and features by
reformatting the drive. He
http://u3.com/uninstall/default.aspx
What the U3 feature really is, is a partition that is treated like a
autorunning CD partition. When you insert the thumb drive, it autoruns
this partition and loads the U3 software. I personally can't stand that
so I use the geeksquad's removal tool. After using the removal tool, the
thumb drive looks and acts just like a regular thumb drive. Also, if you
want to retain the U3 software for later, just back up the partitions
before using the util.

What do people do about the swapfile and other log files that XP
relentlessly writes. Won't that destroy your flash drive in just a few
hours???
mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale He
Old March 9th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 13:12:03 -0000, lid (Glitch)
wrote:

Hi

I got a 4 GB Kingston Data traveler (DTSP/4GB) in Xmas present from
med chef, but the thing is, I want to install winxp or something on it
and boot up etc..

Then you are ignoring that XP doesn't natively support
running from removable media. There are hacks to be able to
do it, like grafing on a removable storage driver but it's
far too lengthly a process to cover in a usenet post, Google
for how to do it if you hadn't already.

http://www.kingston.com/flash/privacyUSB.asp

It seems I cant access anything unless I type in a security code which
blocks it from being bootable.

Kingston has software to remove this (software) and make it
a plain vanilla flash drive... or at least they do for some
of their drives, if you can't find it then Google for the
removal tool.

It works like 2 drives appear when inserting it 1 drive has a cdrom
icon with CDFS partition and the second drive looks like a normal USB
stick without security. Then it pops up with this "DataTraveler
Secure-Privacy Edition" password that I have to set to get access
to anything.

Anyone have experienced how to remove this security from such drive ?

I really wish anyone know how and you will save my hard work, have
tried many things for almost 3 days in a row.

Thanks in advance.

I'd wondering if you did any research about actually running
XP from a flash drive before you started... perhaps you did
but you've omitted this.

3M Computer Privacy Filter hkk General 4 May 26th 06 05:28 PM
web privacy wooducoodu Homebuilt PC's 1 July 22nd 05 10:32 PM
Folder encryption/privacy with NTFS external hard drive? K2 Storage (alt) 0 January 16th 05 07:35 PM
privacy - email I sent to Nvidia they ignored Scotter Nvidia Videocards 2 June 25th 04 07:48 PM
8KNXP Kingston HyperC PC4000 Suggestion from Kingston Tragic Magic Gigbyte Motherboards 0 March 25th 04 11:40 AM